Sunday, May 20, 2012

Three Bean Chili: the more you eat, the more you....

Chili is my go-to meal when I want a huge pot of leftovers for the next day atleast. In other words, two meals (or three) at the cost and effort of one.

This recipe has been perfected for a few years now. I am sensing a pattern with my cooking style, just throw a little of this and that and voila! Chili. Similar to my other recipes, this one goes along those lines too, it's very versatile and can be modified based on the spices you have available.

But in an ideal world, it'll have these ingredients:
3 cans of beans (red kidney, pinto, and black beans)
1 can of diced tomatoes (I like the kind with garlic and herbs already included)
1 small can of tomato paste
2 Tablespoons of chili powder
2 cups of broth
1 cup of water
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 a small onion
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 tsp dry mustard
and a small sprinkle of red pepper flakes & cayenne
1/4 tsp salt
7 crunches (or turns of the shaker) of pepper
optional: shredded cheese, sour cream, frozen corn, green onions
1 cup brown rice

Recipe:
1. Make rice according to package (1 cup brown rice = 2 1/2 to 3 cups water). Cooks for 45 minutes.
2. Sautee onions in oil for about 10 minutes on medium until translucent or almost cooked. Add garlic and cook about 3 minutes more.
3. Add all spices and cook until fragrant on medium, about 2 minutes. Take a nice whiff of them spices, mmm....
4. Add broth, I use 2 cups and 1 veggie boullion cube. Add tomatoes with liquid remaining. Place on high heat. Meanwhile, rinse beans in collander to get sodium and preservatives off.
5. When boiling, add beans.  Place lid on top loosely. You can add some frozen corn if you'd like at this point too. Then cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
6. Pour chili over half a bowl of rice. Top with cheese, sour cream, green onions.

Here is a picture of tonight's chili that I made for our out-of-town guest coming tomorrow. I thought it might be a good idea to have on hand in case any of us get hungry and I don't have time to cook since we'll be out sight seeing and showing the town. Not the best photo, I promise to update with a close-up when we eat a bowl. I need to work on my photography skills.



On another note, I love this pot. It is definitely a keeper although I have been told it is ready to go to another universe due to chipping metal . But... I rather eat metal than part with it. I grabbed it from my grandmother's house before it was sold way back when and I have used it ever since. It's the perfect size for chili or split pea soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment