Friday, May 11, 2012

Groceries on a budget

Tonight is my hubby and my 14 month wedding anniversary. I know, kinda lame to celebrate each month but I try and do something special. Money has been extremely tight this month (that is an understatement actually, it's practically nonexistant - don't worry, we'll be okay). So I got groceries yesterday, about 10 bags for $30!!

Here is what I got, in case you are a broke grad student too (or on a budget):
- 9 packages of ramen noodles (at 22 cents each, what a bargain - just make sure to throw out those sodium-laced awful seasoning packets and make your own sauces)
- 4 packages of 50 cent mac and cheese twists, thanks Walmart.
- 2 bags of frozen veggies (99 cents each) really so easy. Add dehydrated onions and spices (like garlic salt, soy sauce, parsley) to frozen peas and microwave. It tastes much fancier than it really is.
- Eggs
- Milk
- Toilet Paper
- Cereal
- Frozen pizza - as you can see below, I am a big fan of fancying up very cheap $2 frozen pizzas (add mushrooms, corn, tuna, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, balsamic drizzle, pesto, basil, fresh mozarrella, whatever is in your fridge leftover that kinda makes sense, just not all at once)
- frozen pancakes
- firm tofu
- frozen breakfast potatoes
- frozen bean burritos (eight for $3, it's pretty amazing, and you can chop up fresh tomatoes, add salsa, guac, sour cream, etc)

I may have forgotten a few other items, but we should be good for atleast a week on all this. Thank goodness, our fridge was absolutely empty.

Anyways, I am SOOO excited to make dinner tonight for our anniversary. I must again thank pinterest for the wonderful ideas I am going to create. Hubby has no idea I am going come up with such a nice meal out of the seemingly pile of crap items I purchased. No offense, it wasn't the most nutritious at first glance.

Here is the menu, I'll post pics and recipes later, after taking the dog to the park this afternoon:
1. Teriyaki Baked Tofu Steaks
2.  Asian Sesame Zucchini
3. Peanut Sauce ramen noodles
4. Salmon Croquettes

Who needs to go get sushi? Not meeee........ although I would, if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment