Saturday, May 19, 2012

Brocciflower Quiche

As I wait for the oven to preheat I will write up the recipe here before I forget. Don't worry 'I'll delete this posting if it tastes awful. Cause you never know when you cook - it's like 75% good judgment and 25% chance. Atleast in my opinion. The more you cook though, the less you leave up to chance.

For instance, when making this quiche, I used a recipe as a guide but there were pieces I wanted to change, flavors I imagined different. So I kinda closed my eyes at the spice rack and thought about how I wanted it to taste, then picked those spices: lemon seed, dried celery, dried shallots, garlic salt, cracked pepper, nature's seasoning salt, and a sprinkle of cayenne.

Anyways to be precise here is the quiche I am making after my quick visit to the local farmer's market and grabbing some BROCCIFLOWER (broccoli-cauliflower hybrid) for $1. You can substitute cauliflower or broccoli if you can't find this rare specimen.

Ingredients:
3 eggs
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup half and half cream
1 small head of broccoli/cauliflower/brocciflower (about 1 cup)
1 frozen pie crus - or be a champ and make your own! It just takes more time and money.
1 cup shredded cheese (I bought two 2cup bags in two differernt types, one yellow and one white cheese - pick your favorite)
1 tsp dijon mustard
spices: these were my picks but you can use whatever you like. To follow my lead, I used a sprinkle (like less than1/8tsp tsp) of each pretty much listed above. With a smaller sprinkle of cayenne and pepper for flavor. Oh and I was generous with the shallots, about 1 to 2 tablespoons.



Recipe:
1. While oven is preheating at 400 degrees, steam your broccoli (or whatever veg) in a small saucepan. To do so, boil an inch of water on high and place the veggie flowers in the pot. Cover loosely for 5 minutes. Drain liquid out.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix the milk, cream, eggs, and 1/3 cup of the cheese. Add in the spices of your choice (see mine above).
3. Spread the dijon mustard on the pie crust. Prick with fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Pour rest of cheese on crust. Then top with broccoli. Then pour over liquid milk/egg mixture SLOWLY. You may end up with a little extra. Don't be like me and try and squeeze it all in and make a huge mess :( Bake 45-50 minutes.
5. Let it cool 10 minutes before eating. By the way, it came out pretty darn good :)





No comments:

Post a Comment