Friday, June 15, 2012

Eggplant Parm-Parm Casserole

I got the most beautiful huge eggplant at the farmer's market a few weeks ago. I don't have much experience on this vegetable or fruit as some would argue, so thankfully a friend was visiting who could assist. One time I tried making it, it came out so soggy and mush, not very good. And since then, I really have been hesitant.

Anyways, this eggplant made a huge casserole dish for a few nights, even with guests. And I still had a quarter of it leftover which I roasted and smashed for sandwiches.

I did a ton of research as she was explaining to me something about "salting" the eggplant since I had no idea what she was talking about. I quickly realixed this is common practice and you do this to a) reduce bitterness and b) reduce moisture. Some online argue it isn't really necessary. I figure it can't hurt and it adds some seasoning.

This recipe came out delicious. The flour breading and then adding breadcrumbs really made it perfect. Too much breading and it's hard to taste the eggplant. There weren't leftovers for long.

Ingredients:
1 box of whole wheat macaroni ($1 at walmart)
1 can of four cheese tomato sauce ($1)
flour for coating ($.10)
breadcrumbs ($.10)
shredded cheese ($.75)
1 huge eggplant ($2)
salt
oil
Total: $4.95-$5

Recipe:
1. Chop up your eggplant. I cut it first from top to bottom. Then I sliced into 1 inch steaks the eggplant from there.
2. Add them to a collander. Salt generously (like 3 tablespoons). Place bowl underneath. Wait 30 minutes. Toss around every 5 to 10 minutes. Watch water collect underneath.
3. Coat each piece in flour, press to make sure it sticks.
4. Use skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil (no more - this is the trick, too much and it gets soggy!) and cook about 5 minutes each batch.
5. Meanwhile you should have boiled your pasta according to directions.
6. When pasta is ready, toss with sauce and spread in casserole dish.
7. Drain eggplant on paper towels to reduce oil. Then assort them on top of the pasta in casserole dish.
8. Top with shredded cheese, about 1/4 cup or so to your liking.
9. Then top with bread crumbs, about 1/4 cup or less.
10. Place in 375 degrees oven for 30 minutes until crispy and cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment